Saturday, April 13, 2013

ASARCO Smoke Stack Demolition

Today was a very sad day for me as two of El Paso's landmarks were demolished. They were two smoke stacks at what once was the ASARCO copper smelter plant.  The plant closed for good in 2009.  It had been trying to reopen but environmentalist group kept them from getting their permit.  It would have created about 500 well paying jobs. I don't want to debate the pros and cons here but the plant was here first and it helped make this city. Four generations of my family worked there including my grandfather, uncle, cousin and his son. There is another copper plant in the city that is still in operation as well as an oil plant both around the corner from my parent's home.  There are hazardous/environmentally unfriendly jobs everywhere.

There was a town on the plant site that my mom lived in with her family when my grandfather worked there. My mom was born in that town called Smeltertown. She used to talk about it all the time. She said there was a smoke stack (not the ones that  came down) that used to give great shade during the summer. She would talk about walking down the mountain to the company store. They were moved off the plant site to make room for I-10 freeway.  That is what I remember my mom telling me.

I think what makes it worse for me is that I know my mom would be so upset if she knew they stacks had come down.  They made El Paso for her as for many people. It made me miss my mom the way she was before this awful disease. I miss talking, cooking and shopping with her.

Too much emotion to keep inside. I cried all morning.  I didn't want to link any pictures but if you are interested, can go to the El Paso Times website for pictures.

6 comments:

  1. Hi lovely lady.
    So sorry about your landmark, I did see it on TV last night! Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new table. I hope you and your family have a wonderful and bless week coming up.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica, sometimes we all need a good cry. I am so sorry that things don't stay the same. Keep the memories of your Mom in your heart, I miss mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Lynn. Change is difficult. I had a very co-worker ask me what the big deal was. I explained some of my family history and hopefully he understood. Hugs to you Lynn. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Monica, Losing the landmarks and the memories of your Mom seemed to have gone hand in hand. I'm sure you are really missing your Mom. I know what you mean too about generations of people working at the same place. Here in Michigan several generations have worked at the car companies Ford or GM. A lot of those good paying jobs have disappeared, sad for those families. Love your new banner, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I later learned that my cousin's had a demolition party. They saw it from the house my uncle built in a neighborhood near the plant. When we would go visit my aunt and uncle, I would always see my mom look in the direction of the stacks. Even more so after my uncle passed. Now I think it was her way of talking to my uncle and my grandfather. That's my wish anyway. Thanks Laura

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think of my dishes. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you come back to visit again soon.